Sunday, June 22, 2008

Treaty Oak

I have expressed my love of trees on this blog before. There are so many beautiful varieties in Australia especially the Moreton Bay Fig but my favorite tree in the world (so far) is right in my hometown of Jacksonville. I don't remember ever going to see it as a child but I do remember the Oak in the Cummer Gardens. I took Tonette to see the gardens last February. In the gift shop there was a painting of a massive tree which I thought was a painting of the tree in the garden but the lady working behind the counter said it was the Treaty Oak. Tonette and I took a happy detour to visit the most majestic tree I have ever seen. The Treaty Oak is around 200 years old, with a trunk that is 25 feet in circumference, it rises to height of about 70 feet, and its crown spreads over 145 feet, with twisting branches that bow to the ground and curl back up. Treaty Oak was given it's popular name by a fervent journalist who was intent on saving it from developers. This journalist fabricated a story about a treaty being signed underneath the tree by Native Americans and early European settlers.

On this last trip home I wanted Matt, Haley and Skyler to see this wonderful tree. We went over to MOSH (Museum of Science and History) first. After we watched an alligator snapper eat his lunch, toured the land of oversized bugs and took part in some lightening experiments off we went to see the tree. I think they liked it as much as I did.