Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Art on the Streets of Melbourne

I have loved graffiti art for a long time. The first gallery show I ever worked on was a graffiti show Mai Lei and I put together in college. I hung two pieces I kept from that show in my new kitchen. Let me stress the word "art" here. I am not a fan of random scribble or acid thrown on windows but I am a sucker for a well executed piece even if it is on a stolen wall and a little bit illegal. Here are some I have seen on the streets of Melbourne that I like.
Matt and I saw this piece when we were walking around downtown Melbourne checking out the life in the laneways. This one is just of Glenferrie Road in my new neighborhood. I couldn't get a good photo of the whole piece unless I stood in the middle of the road. Drivers here aren't too considerate of pedestrians so I opted just to take photos of small sections. I saw this piece a couple of times at the Burnley Train Station. I got off the train just to take a picture.