Saturday, June 21, 2008

Southern Representation

So Australians may not be familiar with the southern icon, Piggly Wiggly, but they may well be familiar with Confederate General Robert E. Lee. Not due to teaching the history of the civil war in the U.S.A. but because of this...
We were leaving the grocery store yesterday when out of the corner of my eye I spotted the rebel flag. Confederate Bourbon!! I couldn't help but laugh. The finest Kentucky bourbon made right here in Australia. Who would have known? It's just another reminder along with golliwog dolls that I am not at home. Much like the word "sheila" which is offensive to many Australian women I have talked to but the American restaurant chain Outback happily slaps on the bathroom door. As similar as Australia and America are there are various cultural differences for sure.