Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Paprikash and Chalk

I was out buying fabric when I saw a sign with the work paprika in it. I instantly thought of my Hungarian, Zsofi, and went over to look in the window. Smash my face against the window would be a more honest description. Wouldn't you know there is a Hungarian restaurant just minutes from my new neighborhood. Since becoming friends with Zsofi and the whole Otvos family I have been interested in anything Hungarian especially after visiting Budapest for Ric and Zsofi's wedding. I mentioned wanting to go about 3000 times to Matt so after rallying Mick and Bec we went to Malvern to try out Paprika Hussar. FABULOUS!!!!!!! Everything was so good!!!!! And perfect hearty hot food for winter. I had a delicious paprikash but Matt's dish was my favorite, a Transylvania goulash. I wouldn't recommend the goulash if you have a hot date within a 48 hour period since the fragrance lingers for quite sometime but it is well worth it if no kissing is in your immediate future. I read a review in the Age that said "I imagine a guillotine descends from the doorway if you try to leave without having dessert". Too True!! On the first Tuesday of every month they have live Hungarian folk music and a special five course meal. Anyone who lives in or remotely near Melbourne should try this place. http://paprikahussar.com/

Matt and I went downtown to do some shopping last weekend when we came across this man doing chalk drawings. They were lovely and of course my mind went straight to Mary Poppins. There was no popping into the painting to see dancing penguins and ride carousel horses in a derby...unfortunately.