Friday, July 11, 2008

Tesseract

I hate math. The subject has always been the bane of my existence and almost kept me from getting a college degree. A perfect example, I did very well in all of my costume design classes except tailoring. Why? Fractions. Tailoring involves a substantial amount of math. My finished coat at the end of the class looked like it was made for a child on one side and a mutant giant on the other. The only mathematical theme that has ever held any interest for me was the tesseract. As a child I was obsessed with Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time which was all about tesseracts. Matt and I just finished watching The Last Mimzy based on a 1943 short story Mimsy Wore the Borogoves by Lewis Padgett (a pseudonym of Henry Kuttner and C. L. Moore). This story also featured tesseracts. There are even claims that Alice's Looking Glass was really a tesseract so I just wanted to post this cool little tidbit I found on youtube...all about tesseracts.