Sunday, July 13, 2008

Tagine

I went to Morocco with Angela two weeks before I met Matt. Of all the places I have traveled it was by far the most different from home and I loved it! The people that we met were unbelievably welcoming and hospitable. Morocco was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. We were there during Ramadan and could hear prayers all day even floating up to the window of our hotel room. I have been intrigued by everything Moroccan since then.

Matt and I received a gift certificate for David Jones (equivalent of Bloomingdales or Dilliards) from all of his friends at work. We were planning on a shopping day and were looking through the catalog when we saw they had tagines, a traditional Moroccan cooking pot, and on sale. Good tagines aren't cheap so I was very excited. We had to go to two different stores but finally got the last floor model. Yay!! Until yesterday our tagine has been used as a piece of artwork sitting on display on top of the wine cabinet. They are not only useful for making great meals but very beautiful. All because of the domed top which in my case could always double as a hat.

Matt and I went to the Vic Market (I love that place) and got all of our veggies right from the farmers. I love tagines because you use very little oil but lots of good for you stuff...especially the apricots! It took about a half an hour of prep and two hours of slow cooking but I am happy to say came out tasting delicious.


So while I may not be able to do all of the cool things I did in North Africa on a daily basis like riding camels and climbing around the Cave of Hercules at least I can bring a little bit of Morocco into my home.