Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Another Reason I Love Melbourne

I have said many times how much I love graffiti art...not vandalism but art. When I first moved to Chicago I went to buy spray paint for some project or another. I didn't see any on the shelves so I asked the man at my friendly Ace Hardware but he looked around suspiciously and then waved me towards the back of the store. I was really confused. I just wanted spray paint...not crack. He whispered asking what colors I wanted then put the cans in a bag before rushing me up to the check out while trying to hide my illegal items. Outlawing spray paint was Chicago's answer to the graffiti problem. All this did was make people start using a glass eating acid that causes much more damage than paint.
Melbourne took what I think is a more positive approach, The Graffiti Mentoring Program along with the Graffiti Management Plan. "Do art not tags" is the name of a graffiti education presentation being offered to Year 5 and Year 8 students in schools within the City of Melbourne. Actors visit classroom and provide information about the differences between graffiti and street art and how different choices can lead to different consequences.
Matt and I were walking in the rain but when we passed by an art covered laneway we had to take a detour. This is what I read about it on the City of Melbourne's website. "The Street Art Project in Union Lane 2008 was the most significant and active stage of the Graffiti Mentoring Project. The laneway is in a high profile location in the heart of Melbourne’s retail hub and was increasingly uninviting and heavily tagged. A Street Art Permit and Planning Permit were sought for the creation of a street art mural with the full support of the building owners, David Jones and the Walk Arcade. The mural spans 550 square meters on both sides of Union Lane.The mural was created in the city’s busiest retail period between November and December 2007 by more than 50 young people between the ages of 13 and 28 who were supported by artist mentors, a site manager and project coordinator. "
I don't think tagging will stop anytime soon but at least Melbourne is looking for positive ways to promote graffiti art instead of just outlawing spraypaint.