Monday, July 21, 2008

Geebung Then and Now

I went for a walk today even though it was a little drizzly outside. I was in need of glue...just regular glue. I didn't think it would be such a hard thing to find but I had to go to four different stores. Along the way I passed some old photos of Hawthorn, my new lovely neighborhood. I am not sure what year this picture was taken but I am happy to say Auburn Road really doesn't look that different.The same big, beautiful building which was known as the Auburn hotel is now the Geebung Polo Club. This is where a bunch of us ended up after our wedding. I took this picture today and besides the cars the street scene is almost identical to what it was many years ago. I didn't know the Geebung Polo Club got it's name from an A. B. "Banjo" Paterson (who also gave us "Waltzing Matilda" and "The Man from Snowy River") poem of the same name.