Monday, February 25, 2008

Oscars

I was disappointed yesterday because I didn't think the Oscars were on network TV here. They actually were and I stayed up late to watch the replay last night. Watching them made me miss my sister Judy and my friend, Chris Hamm. No one I know loves the Oscars more than those two. For myself however, the older I get the more watching awards shows plays at my insecurities. I start to feel like I haven't accomplished anything and get irritated with myself, feeling lazy and stuff....silly. I was ecstatic that Marion Cotillard won. I thought she was perfect, absolutely perfect.


As for Best Picture, I hated No Country for Old Men. I normally love the Cohen brothers stuff but I couldn't get into this one. For those of you that haven't seen it here is my synopsis.
Boring, boring, boring, a bunch of dead guys, someone does something REALLY stupid because in order for this movie to work someone has to do something really stupid, boring, psycho killer on the loose, boring, does this movie have a point, oh wait....no no, everything just ends abruptly.


It was also really good to see so many new, "unknowns" win. I loved JUNO so I thought it was great former exotic dancer, Diablo Cody, took home an Oscar. The best moment for sure was when John Stewart brought Marketa Irglova, co-winner for Best Song, back out on stage after being cut off by the orchestra before saying her thanks yous. I was so glad he did because her speech helped to quell my own pouty self-criticism.
"The fact that we're standing here tonight, the fact that we're able to hold this, it's just proof that no matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible, and, you know, fair play to those who dare to dream, and don't give up. This song was written from the perspective of hope, and hope, at the end of the day, connects us all, no matter how different we are."
The Academy has yet to officially ask for my opinion but since I didn't watch the Oscars with a group of people at Chris' house I thought I would put my two-cents in here.