Sunday, August 19, 2007

Bacchus and Boomerangs

Before I left Chicago I watched an episode of AMERICAN CHOPPER where the guys were in Australia. They went to an Aboriginal center and learned to throw the boomerang. When Matt and I were driving down to see the Twelve Apostles we passed by the Narana Creations: Aboriginal Craft & Cultural Interpretation Centre. I knew this was the spot the guys from the tv show went so I wanted to go too. We headed off to Geelong (about an hour from Melbourne) to see if I could manage to throw a boomerang. Matt said he may have thrown one as a kid but didn't remember so this was pretty much his first boomerang experience as well. We decided to take the scenic route and drove down thru the town of Bacchus Marsh. There were alot of little vineyards along the way but we decided to stop and check one out here. After all with the name Bacchus (aka Roman god of wine and intoxication) you can't go wrong. We followed the signs up a hill to Le Repaire de Bacchus. On the way up we passed a farm with two horses in the paddock. One was laid flat out on the ground which made me a little nervous as far as his health concerned. I thought they always slept standing up. I didn't want to see a sick or possibly even dead horsey. Matt asked if I wanted to go poke the horse with a stick...he is always so helpful. We continued on up the hill to the vineyard which is very new especially compared to some of the local vineyards which were established in the 1860's. This Bacchus Hill winery didn't open their cellar doors until 2006 and has already won medals for their Cabernet Sauvignon(silver medal) and Shiraz(bronze medal). We tasted about six different types of wine mostly reds. My favorite was the Fragoletto made with fragola grapes. The taste started off like a normal medium-bodied red but with a mouthful of strawberries at the end. Not sweet like "Strawberry Hill" or anything close. Absolutely delicious! I could have sat there all day "trying" wines but then trying would have just turned into drinking and we would have been stuck up on the hill not able to drive. So we headed off but not without a box with a few of our favorite bottles to take home. And you will all be happy to know on our way back down the hill we saw the two horses, both very much alive, happily hanging out together under a tree eating grass.


We took another small detour on the way to Narana Creations to the Fairy Park. Matt described this park as fairies carved into rock so I envisioned some picturesque little sculpture garden with lovely greenery and naturalistic little winged creatures. Not so much. Sometime, most likely the 1970's, someone thought it would be cute to bring fairy tales to life on the side of a mountain thru the use of animatroninc puppets. I am sure in the 1970's it was very cute! Now it all seems a bit dated and some of the puppets look like they have had better days. I know by all the squealing that was going on all the kids who were there still thoroughly enjoyed the park. I, however, became very suspicious of one Mister Matthew Clarke's intentions for bringing me to this so-called fairy park when there just happened to be a meeting of the Geelong Antiques Car Club....hmmmmmmm???? I must say the cars were very cool. Matt of course knew every year, make and model car that was there. There was even a Ford Model-T. We went along on our way just as the car club was also leaving. We managed to get stuck on the highway behind a few of them for as cool as these cars look alot of them don't go very fast.


At last we were off to learn to throw the boomerang! When me got to Narana Creations the man in the front shop, who was really nice, gave us a short demonstration on how to check which way the wind was coming, which way to stand and how to hold the boomerang. Then he directed us off to the boomerang throwing field. Fortunately Matt and I were the only people out there so we were free to make fools of ourselves. My first throw wasn't so bad. After that first one I got a little too intent on my stance and just kept attacking the ground with a bent stick. When he wasn't trying to chop off tree limbs Matt wasn't half bad with his boomerang. Some of them almost came all the way back. We had a blast throwing and then finding (mostly) tons of boomerangs. We also walked thru the garden filled with native plants many with medicinal uses. There were emus walking around and lots of large rocks with Aboriginal paintings. I liked the painting with the witchetty grubs...really I just like saying witchetty grub. We had another chat with our instructor about boomerangs and how they need to be carved. Evidently alot of the boomerangs sold here are only for decoration and aren't carved to return correctly. He also told us a bit about AMERICAN CHOPPER. Matt and I bought a boomerang and we are going to take it out to the football grounds and practice some more.


We went down to the city of Geelong for some fish and chips. We pulled out to the pier to watch the boats and eat our fish when we saw another rainbow. I know I keep putting the pictures up here but I just can't get over how many I have seen. All I need is a big poster of a purple unicorn and with all my rainbows I will be thirteen again.