Sunday, November 16, 2008

Studley Park

Bosley was visiting on Saturday so we decided to take him for a walk down to Studley Park along the Yarra River. The weather was perfect and cool enough to keep the flies away. Australia's biggest draw back is the fly population especially anywhere near water. We took two walking paths on either side of Kanes Bridge which is suspension bridge that was originally built in 1929 but swept away by flood in 1934. It was rebuilt in 1935 by Unemployed Relief Scheme Workers. It's hard to imagine a massive flood during a drought.

There were loads of birds everywhere especially rosellas. I still get excited to watch all the different kinds of parrots flying around. I guess it's like when Matt sees squirrels since there aren't squirrels in Australia. I didn't see too many wild parrots flying around in the States.

Some of the trees were chock-a-block full of holes. There were a lot of butterflies around so I thought it must have been caterpillars so I went on the hunt. I love to look for bugs. I was wrong. It wasn't caterpillars reeking havoc but a tiny little beetle.
The Studley Boathouse is just a bit away from Kane's Bridge. We are going to go back soon and rent a rowboat and head out on the river. We thought about going but Bosley was freaked out by the opening between the slats on the bridge so we weren't sure how he would do on a boat.