Friday, October 2, 2009

Mom & Dad in Tasmania

Matt and I were trying to figure out the best place to take Mom and Dad that would be something unusual for them to see. We figured Tasmania was the best bet. We started out in Port Arthur which is really a very sad place both because of the history of the convicts and the Martin Bryant massacre. Dad was really moved by the depth of human cruelty that took place here. At least now it's very beautiful with gorgeous gardens. The next event was a bit more upbeat..shopping at Salamanca Market. Yay Shopping!! My sister, Anna, has become a massive fan of a spice mix called Tasmanian Bush Dust. I looked and looked and looked for the dust but found myself in a completely dust free zone. Luckily through some research on my sister's part she has found someone that sells it in Melbourne so I have to pick some up there.
We went and bought some fresh seafood right off the boats.
And my Master Chef hubby got to work on some Oysters Kilpatrick and Scallops...YUMMY!!
We also drove up to the pinnacle of Mount Wellington. The view was beautiful but the drive up was not too enjoyable for a few people with a fear of heights. Nope, not fun at all.
The last day was pretty blustery with downed power lines and trees on the road but we still had a great time!!