Monday, October 12, 2009

Best Day Ever at Jirrahlinga

Matt organized the BEST Birthday present ever for me this year!! Tehree Gordon (Senior Australian of the Year 2004) runs a sanctuary just outside of Geelong. I had visited before but never thought I would get up and personal with the koalas there. Matt organized for me to shadow Judy (the koala keeper who is absolutely lovely) with Mrs. Gordon. I got to help clean up the animal hospital and change over the eucalyptus leaves. I was over the moon happy just to be around the koalas and it gave me such a great appreciation for all of the work the people at the sanctuary do. The big guys above was injured in the bush fires and he is scheduled to be released back into the wild any day now.
This little bub isn't gaining weight the way she should be so she is getting supplemental feedings. She has to be fed almost every two hours 24 hours a day. Making sure she grows up takes a big commitment but she is so beautiful I can see why wildlife carers do what they do.

There are loads of orphans who end up at the sanctuary. I got to meet baby ringtail possums, brushtail possums, magpies and this rolly polly wombat. She was very busy.These two dingo pups, Itchy and Scratchy, absolutely captured my heart. Theya re so cute! The little girl got scared at one point and ran in between my legs. I wanted to pop them in my pocket and take them home. In some states Dingo's can be pets but it takes special licences and they are supposed to be big howlers so aren't often popular with neighbors. These two sure are gorgeous. It really was one of the best days ever!!