Monday, September 8, 2008

Paperbark Take 2

After my first experience with a Paperbark tree in the rainstorm I couldn't stop thinking about how the Aboriginal people use the bark like I use aluminum foil. Of course I wanted to try it for myself. Matt and I got some Blue Grenadier(type of fish) at the market and were going to peel off some layers of paperbark in the park. First, we headed up to Dromkeen for a volunteer day first and Sandra, Tracy, Luke and Natarsha came up to have a picnic and feed the peacocks. Sandra heard about our plans for paperbark was kind enough to collect some from her neighbors tree.
The paperbark is oiled and wrapped around the fish. I smoked it in a pan and baked it in the oven. It's really supposed to be cooked like damper bread, in the coals of a fire but I don't quite have access to a fire pit in our apartment building. It was really smokey and tasty!! Paperbark is not only a beautiful tree but quite useful too.