Sunday, April 27, 2008

Autumn in Australia

It is autumn here in Melbourne. The weather is getting colder and I have been pulling sweaters out of their summer hiding places. We went with Mick and Bec up to Daylesford and Hepburn Springs (about an hour outside of Melbourne) for a look around at these quaint towns known for their spas and Swiss/Italian heritage. There was actually supposed to be a festival going on but the weather wasn't great so we reached the tents just as they were closing up. We still had a great time looking around at antique shops and vintage clothing stores.

We drove up to the top of Wombat Hill in Daylesford to go to the Convent Gallery. This building was originally built during the 1860's goldrush as a private residence but the Catholic Church acquired it 20 years later and converted it into a convent and boarding school for girls. The building was converted into an art gallery in 1988 having closed in 1973 and fallen into disrepair. One of the nun's quarters was left as an example of convent life. The room was tiny, tiny, tiny. The inside of the building was gorgeous full of stained glass windows. The art displayed was ok. They have a cafe downstairs called the "Bad Habits Cafe" which I thought was rather witty play on words. Get it? Nuns...habits...bad habits?? Anyway, I thought it was cute.



We were looking for the Macaroni Factory in Hepburn Springs and according the the lady at the filling station we must have passed it three times but I never saw it so we headed on to Lavandula which is a lavender farm with barnyards, a vineyard, olive and chestnut groves and a restored Italian farmhouse. The weather was becoming stormy and the lavender plants had been pruned so I wouldn't say we saw everything at the most beautiful stage. I lifted this lovely picture from their website. I LOVED the animal farm. We braved the mud to pet pigs and chase chickens. I was trying to take pictures of the donkey but he just kept trying to chew on my camera so I got a fantastic close up of his nose. There was a sheep shearing stall that had been converted into an art gallery which was pretty cool.


On the way back to Melbourne we made one more stop. We stopped off at one of the hand pumps offering the mineral water the area is famous for. People came with bags full of empty bottles to fill up with this water chock a block full of natural goodness. Bec warned me it may be good for you but isn't too tasty. We filled up a bottle and after a bit of coaxing from my friends and another couple there I finally tasted the spring's mineral water. I should have stopped at the smell. Delicious carbonated rotten egg. Actually it wasn't the worst I've had. Growing up in Florida I've come across some seriously sulphur flavored water. And surprise, surprise there was a sign on the way up the hill with the name of this particular spring, Sulphur Springs. Yummy!