Sunday, July 22, 2007

Trams and Birthdays

Melbourne's tram system started in 1884 with horse drawn trams. Cable trams were introduced to the city the following year. Today Melbourne has one of the largest tram and light-rail networks in the world. In the 1980's some of the older model tram cars were refurbished and transformed into restaurants. Matt and I took one of these restaurant trams around downtown Melbourne. Everything was perfect. The inside is decorated beautifully like movies of I have seen of the dining car on the Orient Express. Fringed swag curtains draped the windows and white table clothes covered the tables. All the people on board seemed very nice. We met a couple from outside of Ballarat who were planning a trip to Sturgis. I did do something on the tram that I am feeling a bit guilty about. They had kangaroo for appetizers. After all the petting and loving of the kangaroos I did feel bad trying it but I figured while in Australia..... Australia is the only country I know of who eats both of it's national animals, kangaroo and emu. Imagine cooking up a little bald eagle for lunch. I must say I wouldn't go out of my way to try kangaroo again. Kind of a cross between venison and hanger steak the taste was fair but mixed with the guilty feeling and only ok taste it won't be high on my list of favorite eats. The rest of the meal was absolutely delicious coupled with wonderful views of Melbourne at night.


The tram stopped once along our journey for people to get out and stretch their legs. As we pulled up beside the park a few furry visitors came running towards the train. There were some brushtail possums who were very excited to see us. The chef gave out extra fruit bread to feed the little guys and a warning to watch out for your fingers. Evidently these cute little possums rarely but sometimes bite and when they do they don't let go. Matt concurred having been bit by one in Tasmania. It seems they try to take you with them once they clamp down. I let Matt feed the possums while I took pictures. I like my fingers. There was alcohol flowing pretty freely on the tram and some singing started including a lovely rendition of Dancing Queen and special dance performance by the chef. We wrapped up the night with the whole tram joining in for Sonny and Cher's I Got You Babe.


The next day we went to a PIXAR exhibit in Federation Square. We had to go down there anyway to pick up the newest Harry Potter book. YAY YAY YAY!!!! I promised not to start reading until the weekend was over. The PIXAR exhibit was fantastic. It both inspired me and I must admit made me insanely jealous. The artists in this exhibit had SO much talent. There was one artist Simon Varela who did charcoal underwater studies for Finding Nemo that were absolutely incredible. There was a surprising amount of collage work used in character development...surprising to me anyway. It is always fun to see all the stages some of my favorite cartoon characters went through and how they evolved. I may have made one fatal mistake in going with Matt to this exhibit. There was a lady who could possible steal away his affections. Someone I could never compare to. How does a regular girl like me compete with a Porsche named Sally?? Ahhh well!


Saturday was Luke's (Matt's nephew) two year old birthday. We headed up to Sunbury to get together with Luke and the rest of the family. I had a great time with Matt's mom, Sandra and his sisters, Rebecca and Tracy. Barry and Laurel, who are wonderful, got there just after Matt and I did. I also got to meet Matt's aunt Belinda and cousin Melanie along with lots of Rebecca and Nick's friends. The kids had a really cool blowup castle to play on. Sandra had a really cute picture of Matt as a baby with huge chubby cheeks. It was great to spend time with Matt's family.


Matt and I had been reading about this place called CHILL ON. It is Melbourne's first and only "Ice" bar. Everything including the walls, bar and glasses are made with ice. I had watched a special on an Ice hotel in Sweden that looked really interesting so we decided to check it out. They "rent" or I should say make you wear big ski coats over your own coat and gloves. The gloves are a good idea since the glasses are ice but I could have done without the other coat. The bar itself was exactly as promised...all made of ice. It was pretty with lots of ice sculptures and a yummy berry flavored drink was included. We took some pictures, drank our drinks and then the novelty started to wear off. I am happy we saw it but wouldn't say it would be a good "local" bar.
I will post about the Heritage Walk tomorrow.