Sunday, January 25, 2009

Wow, That's Offal!!!

On a recent shopping trip to Springvale we came across a poultry shop selling chicken hearts for about 3 dollars a kilo. I happily forked over my cash for a bag of the tiny delicacies. This brought rather disgusted frowns to both Matt and Tara's face. I know people are weird about offal meat but I really don't understand why. Angela almost lost her burrito one night when she realized I was eating one made with tongue. I grew up with my Mom cooking liver and tongue so maybe it's not that weird to me. I mean really giblet gravy, YUM! Pate,Yum! Matt loves steak and kidney pie so I didn't think it would be too hard to convert him over to being a heart lover especially since he loves my Thanksgiving stuffing and gravy both of which contain the contents of the chicken innards goodie bag. It's really easy to make an awesome stir fry.

1 pound chicken hearts
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 toe garlic, minced
1 teaspoon corn starch
2 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon soy sauce


Everything was coming along nicely. Smelled good, CHECK! Looked good, CHECK! Tasted good, CHECK! Well at least I thought so. I will give Matt credit for trying(notice the forced smile). He picked out the mushrooms before actually digging in. When the words "It's chewy" came out of his mouth I knew my quest had failed. He apologized profusely but just couldn't bring himself to eat the tiny hearts. At least he tried and YAY more for me!