Sunday, October 12, 2008

Queenscliff

This weekend was full of more bumbling adventure. Matt and I set off to Queenscliff which is a coastal town that is home to Fort Queenscliff which was built in the 1860's to protect Port Phillip Bay. Legend has it that the first British Empire shots of both WWI and WWII were ordered from this fort. There were loads of plaques honoring fallen soldiers and people who worked on various ships including one plaque on this mine.

The fort is also home to the Black Lighthouse. I had never thought much about the color of lighthouses but this is one of a handful in the world that is made of unpainted blackstone and is the only black lighthouse in the Southern Hemisphere.

We bought a little book that takes you on a walk around the town telling the history of lots of the historic buildings. My favorite was an old hotel. I like the look out part on top. I am sure there is a technical name for this part of a building but I have no idea what it is called. It reminded me of the next door neighbor in Mary Poppins, the old sailor who was always telling the direction of the wind.

We headed down to the beach to have a look for some tide pools. There were some sea snails, mollusks and lots of seaweed but not much else. It probably would have been better if the tide was going out instead of coming in. I didn't move quite fast enough and got a bit wet but the water wasn't near as cold as I thought it would be.

We drove along the coast stopping at little towns along the way. There was a shipwreck from 1925 and a wedding happening at an old bluestone mill.
We stopped to take a walk at Indented Head which was named by Matthew Flinders in 1802 because of the shape of the coastline. I was very excited by the speckled anemone. When I poked them they spit water at me then closed up and buried down under the sand. Luckily they don't sting.

As a tiny added bonus there were also lovely yellow canola fields in bloom all along the drive.