Sunday, August 31, 2008

Little India

I love Devon Street in Chicago, especially for fabric shopping. I wanted to find the Indian shopping area in Melbourne. Lucky for me, the council of Dandenong leads free tours through Little India. Matt and I went up Friday night for this free cultural tour. It was so much fun!! We went to five different shops starting with the clothing traders. The sarees were gorgeous, of course. We learned all about the traditions of Indian wedding clothes and jewelry. We were shown how to wrap a saree and apply henna. I got a little design put on my palm. I am still not used to it and keep trying to wipe my hand forgetting it's just dye. At the grocery store our tour guide, Vicky, pointed out some natural shampoo that is supposed to eradicate dandruff. Woo-hoo!! I am chronically flaky so I snatched some of that right up. The next stop was a Bollywood video shop. Three movies for $6 was too good of a deal to pass up. I have been watching the musical numbers from An Evening in Paris (1957) over and over. Bollywood dancing, big bouffant hair-dos all over Paris. It's too good!One of the clothing shops also has a beauty salon where they thread eyebrows. I have been trying to find somewhere here that does threading for ages. SO happy! We stopped into Punjab sweets and then were off to dinner at Payal restaurant.


This was one of the best tours. First of all, it was free. Also, I learned new things, tried new wonderful food, found a place to go get my beauty treatments done, met lots of nice people and came home with lots of loot (besides buying stuff you get bunches of free samples from the traders).