Monday, September 10, 2007

Australian Art

One thing I always try to buy when I am travelling is some sort of art, original if possible. I have been very lucky on this trip. I have found two small pieces that I absolutely love and neither were expensive at all. I have been to a couple of Aboriginal art galleries and most of the pieces were beautiful but huge and way too expensive for my budget. In Port Douglas we went to Bundarra Gallery and I found this small piece entitled Rainbow Dreaming by YULA. I fell in love with it for two main reasons. One, because I have been inundated by rainbows on this visit and two, because the piece is so colorful.


The other objects of nature (besides animals) that have fascinated me here in Oz are the trees. Australia has the most incredible trees. I was ecstatic when we found Tasmanian artist, Doc, whose work focused on trees in Salamanca market. His work was insanely affordable so I happily acquired one of his small tree pieces.


Of all the pieces I have been working on here in Australia there is one that I am particularly happy with. Cheryl and I made a plaster cast of her pregnant belly. At first I was painting a circus scene but Matt said it looked more like a Wonder Woman costume. Since Al and Cheryl are going with a teddy bear theme for Cooper's room I went in that direction. I was having a bit of trouble coming up with a bear design so I found one on the web. Yes I am a copy cat but imitation is the highest form of flattery or that's what people say anyway. I changed the design a bit since Cooper is a boy and the other design was for a girl. Most importantly Al and Cheryl like it so that is really all that matters. So that is mini art-expo for the day. =)